Google Ads - Search Network
Google Adwords are a vital marketing tool for any business and form a critical component of an effective overall Inbound Marketing Strategy.
Google Search Ads work on the principle of displaying a tailored Ad to a potential customer with your company details at a time when they are actively searching online for your products or services thereby enabling you to:
Get the right message to the right person at the right time.
If you are not using Google Adwords yet, you really should be, it's probably one of the most effective marketing tools for a small business. Read more about the benefits of Paid Online Advertising for your business.
What are Google Adwords?
Google Adwords is a system that can be used in place of, or to complement, your SEO - Search Engine Optimisation strategy.
Essentially you Pay Google to display a basic text ad on their SERP - Search Engine Results Page that is triggered when someone types a search on the Google search bar that contains predetermined keywords.
The goal is to get your ad displayed above all other results, paid or organic. Ideally you want the very first listing/Ad on the top of the page in order to attract the lions share of the potential customers to your company, be it your website, a specific landing page or to call you.
The above screenshot is an example of a Google Ad I have running on the Google Search Network that is triggered by variations of the key phrase "Digital Marketing Consultant" an Ad is differentiated from a free listing by the inclusion of the word Ad in the top left hand corner. I've just given LinkedIn some free publicity by leaving their ad in the screenshot, I wonder if they'll pay me for it?
How do Google Adwords Work?
Google Adwords is an Auction. You are bidding against your competitors for certain keywords/phrases that you know your potential customers use when searching on Google for your services or products. Below are some of the parameters that I can set up to obtain maximum results for your company.
- The cost of these keywords/phrases varies depending on how much competition there is for that keyword/phrase and the potential transaction value of that keyword or phrase, Google knows that someone selling shoes will not pay as much for an Ad as someone selling cars will, the value of the two products is very different.
- When your potential customers search for these keywords or phrases on Google your ad may be triggered and displayed according to Googles algorithms. The exact workings of these algorithms is a closely guarded secret, but there are numerous tricks and tools that a skilled Google Adwords Expert can utilise to ensure you get an effective Google Adwords campaign.
- As it is an Auction you decide how much you wish to spend each month and set this up as a daily limit ( Monthly Limit divided by 30.4 = Your Daily Limit.) Google may exceed your Daily Budget on busy days by a factor of 2 and use less on quiet days, but will never exceed your Monthly Budget.
- Based upon research and your knowledge of your customers, industry and budget we would select the desired keywords.
- Initially we would probably be targeting CPC - Cost per Click this is where we decide how much we are willing to bid for a click on our Ad. You only pay if someone actually clicks on your Ad. We could change this setting after 3 weeks to CPA Cost per Acquisition, Google then uses machine learning and data it has collected over the life of the campaign to target your ads to people it deems more likely to purchase your product or service.
- We can set up how we want your budget to be spent throughout the day.
- We can target geographical areas.
- In order for a Google Adwords campaign to remain effective, or to improve results, it is necessary that it be monitored and optimised on an ongoing basis.
Who are Google Adwords For?
Google Adwords is for all companies, startups, micro, small, medium and larger even well established companies can and should make use of Google Adwords.
Google Adwords can be used at any stage during your businesses life, it's flexibility allows for it to be extremely useful at certain stages:
- Startups can use Google Ads as an instant route to market while they build up their organic presence. Google Adwords can be used to attract immediate attention to new products or services.
- Established companies can make use of Google Adwords to fill gaps in their organic presence.
- If you are in a highly competitive industry you may not have a choice but to make use of Google Adwords or risk losing business.
- Google Adwords are an extremely powerful tool for any company during growth phases.
Features of Google Adwords.
Google Adwords offers a host of features that enable effective campaigns to be set up to suit the requirements of every advertiser. Below are just a few of the more important features:
- You only pay per click.
- You control your monthly spend.
- You choose your keywords and your ads are only triggered by these phrases.
- Your campaign can be highly targeted according to Geography, Day, Time and Device.
- You develop your ads accordingly.
- Campaigns can be paused and re-activated at the push of a button.
- You can have separate Accounts, Campaigns, Ad Groups and Ads.
- You can set up multiple Ads for testing which is most effective.
- Google Adwords offers numerous Extension Types.
- You control the traffic, so you decide where the visitors is re-directed upon clicking the ad, webpage, landing page etc.
Benefits of Google Adwords.
Google Adwords offer numerous benefits to companies of all sizes.
- Google Adwords are an instant route to market, once your campaign has been set up and launched you start seeing results, unlike SEO which can take months.
- Google Adwords traffic is what we call Controlled Traffic, we decide where we link the ads to, it could be a specially designed Squeeze Page, a specific product page or just our website home page, this control results in much higher conversion rates. Organic traffic goes where it wants, we have no control.
- You have complete control of your budget. You can increase your budget, decrease your budget, shift budget between campaigns and even pause campaigns at the push of a button.
- Google Adwords is an extremely flexible platform allowing for ongoing optimisation and improvement of your campaign based on data collected through Adwords and Analytics. Every campaign can be improved upon.
- Google Adwords provides a host of targeting and bidding options to manage your expenditure, you can choose to target a wider audience for greater exposure or a very specific audience for lead generation depending on your goals.
- You can set up your keywords and Ads to target potential customers are different stages of the buyers journey.
What I Offer.
I am Google Adwords Certified with many years experience designing and developing successful Google Adword Campaigns.
Google Adword campaigns are not a setup and forget marketing tool, all campaigns require an experienced person who monitors performance and makes the necessary improvements to keep you campaign performing at optimal levels.
Machine Learning may have come a long way, but marketing still requires human intelligence and apparently I have some of this. I give all my projects personal attention and aspire to achieve maximum Return on Investment on a consistent basis for all my clients, within your budget. Your Success is my Business.